Monday, January 21, 2008

praying monk - on a drive home from arlington

i am grateful that i live in a land of awe-inspiring landscapes and vivid, soul-touching color. people don't often see the softness in the desert, yet, many of us natives, who take the time to look, find, upon occasion, a sky that greets us with the reminder that the desert is a place of healing - from its gentle colors in the morning sunrise and at night. when the colors were a backdrop, creating the silhouette of the praying monk, i could not take my eyes away from the image - a welcome distraction from my grief.

how fortunate that i was traveling with my mother at the time so we could share the moment. having her with me added another dimension to my viewing - bringing up the history of this place in phoenix and memories of traveling down the road with my father as he "took us for a ride" through his favorite landscapes and on the undulating road along the side of this great mountain. we stopped to soak it in and to "smell the roses". simply glorious.

1 comment:

ladyd said...

What an awesome picture and with the sunset behind it...wow.. We live in such a beautiful State and most of the people here just go by in a hurry. This is one of my fave mountians, traveled there many times, but never able to climb to high. Awesome photo