Tuesday, May 27, 2008

roots

everyday I go outside, wiggle my toes into the dirt and mesquite leaf mulch, let the sun shine on my face and imagine rooting myself there.

First,
I envision the roots of a mesquite tree I saw on the side of a wash up near Arcosanti

- I had no idea that mesquites could develop such long, strong, tap roots...

then, I bring up images of saguaro roots that stretch out and around that magnificent plant for great distances in order to soak up every bit of moisture that comes and goes so quickly in the Sonoran desert.

I don't know - but - when I think about saguaros and how tall and balanced they are, I start to stretch out my arms and soak up more sunshine. I always relate to the saguaro more even though I am in awe of the mesquite.

Today, I realized, that although my roots in life are deep in many areas, I am so much more like a saguaro -
preferring to spread out and explore many things to add balance to my life.

btw getting out of the house - huge - watching spiny lizzards, chuckwallas and desert birds - delightful.

1 comment:

Janette said...

Amen to getting out- sista!